What are your feelings on present-tense narration (third-person, if it matters)?
I’m starting my NaNo story in a couple days and I’m wondering if I should stick with the present-tense I’ve used in past drafts or if I should go with standard past-tense. I’d rather decide now than change my mind later and have to go back and fix things. As far as I can see, the integrity of the story isn’t affected either way.
Pros for present tense:
- kind of unusual, memorable
- more immersive for the reader?
Cons for present tense:
- it would involve a lot of rechecking and correcting when I slip up
- I always feel a bit pretentious using experimental techniques for no reason
- doesn’t actually contribute a whole lot to the readability
Any comments are appreciated!